3-A Your Entrepreneurship Story
Since I was young, I've always thought of my father as my hero and inspiration. He has been a business owner all his life and embodies the entrepreneur spirit to the fullest. At the age of 16, he graduated high school two years early and began working full time for his fathers' art and picture framing warehouse. By working closely with my grandfather, my dad began to learn the ins and outs of management, business ownership, accounting and bookkeeping, inventory, advertising, and merchandising. His greatest skill learned is the art of selling. My dad can make a sell happen with anyone because he always makes sure to cater to the customers needs.
He used this skill throughout his life and I believe that along with his entrepreneurs’ spirit, it is the most defining factor in all that he has done. My father has owned a variety of businesses, from art and picture framing to insurance to roofing to trucking. The most admirable and inspirational quality my dad has is when the going gets tough, he gets tougher. He never stops adapting to the changes in the market. When our picture-framing warehouse was flooded and all our inventory was destroyed, my dad made the move to roofing. When the roofing business stopped being profitable due to less frequent hurricanes, my dad moved on to insurance. And when Obamacare regulated the insurance industry, my dad decided to move into an industry he saw to be a permanent need - logistics and transportation.
My dad has never let anyone or any market control how he makes money and conducts business. By learning from him, I know that the entrepreneur life comes with ups and downs. There were times when we didn't have to worry about money and times where we had to shed the lifestyle we were accustomed to just to get by. No matter how bad things get I know that my dad will always bounce back, always find another way, and always provide for his family. He is my hero for so many reasons, but most importantly for teaching me all that he has learned in business and life. He chose the path not that was easy or reliable, but one that he knew would give him the ultimate freedom and satisfaction.
There are many reasons I enrolled in ENT 3003, and while my dad is a very big influence, the main reason is for myself. I hope to gain a new perspective on life, business, and problem solving. I hope to understand the world in a different way. And I hope to gain the knowledge and skills to become not just like my father, but also like all the great female entrepreneurs and business leaders. I take inspiration from Diane Von Furstenberg, Mary Barra, Sara Blakely, and Michelle Obama. These women pushed the social boundaries of business and made themselves forces to be reckoned with. To keep the entrepreneur spirit in all that I do reassures me that no matter where my career leads me, I will always persevere in the ups and downs of life.
Me and my dad (1998)


Shannon, your entrepreneurship story is very touching! You’ve had the perfect example of a true entrepreneur, and that probably gives you a better understanding of the lifestyle and mindset that goes along with the business aspect. Your goal to gain new perspectives from this class truly is a great goal because having a variety of aspects in business should help you!
ReplyDelete-LCH
Hi Shannon,
ReplyDeleteI loved your story. It's beautiful the way you look up to your dad. My parents have been a huge influence in me pursuing a travel brand. Being a salesman is a huge quality. I actually have a friend who has a story similar to yours. His dad started his own business as an immigrant and grew it from the bottom up with his strongest skill being selling. When the industry got difficult, he also looked for loop holes and never let other companies bring him down or buy him out.
If you choose to follow in your dads footsteps, I have no doubt your charisma will get you very far with customers. Goodluck!
First off, let me start by saying I love the picture you used for this blog. It is adorable. I really enjoyed reading your story. You have defiantly been exposed to the good and bad side of entrepreneurship but also had a very strong father who never gave up no matter the circumstance. Your story is truly inspiring and just goes to show that sometimes things don’t go as planned but you have to keep moving forward if you want to succeed. I also love that you say that you are doing this for yourself. I think a lot of people do things just because their family before them has done something. The problem with that is that if you aren’t happy with what you are doing then what is the point? You should do something that makes you happy because you are the one that has to go day by day going into work.
ReplyDeleteHi Shannon.
ReplyDeleteThis story of your fathers success being an entrepreneur was very enjoyable to read and relatable to anyone who has a father they look up to. My father also had his own law firm he started by himself and built it up slowly. Your story was very inspirational because it illustrates to people that sometimes things don't go the right way but you have to deal with life throws at you. Your dad is an example of someone who did it the right way which is loving what they do in life.
Great story! My father was also an entrepreneur, going out on his own almost immediately after school as well. It proved to be a successful venture, and he still owns the company today. Similarly, I also look up to my father with great respect. His determination in his business practice inspires me and has instilled values in my that I hold important.
ReplyDelete