4-A Forming an Opportunity Belief

4-A: Forming an Opportunity Belief

In today’s day and age, we have so much technology at our fingertips, which makes us feel very knowledgeable. We use our smart devices so often it feels like we have it all. We can use them to order a ride, hotel, keep in touch with people, and more. However, there is still one frustrating problem that any one who has needed a service company have encountered. Think of any time you’ve had to wait for the cable company or a tow truck. The company gives you a vague time period for which they should be there. “We’ll be there from any time between 9 and 2 o’clock.” It is so frustrating to wait all day, not having a clear idea when they will get to you. It could be first thing in the morning, or you could be waiting all day until the end of the given time period. The worst situation is when they don’t come and reschedule, meaning you’ll have to play the waiting game all over again.

What if we had a tracking app that all service companies and tow companies could use that would allow you to see where your expected vehicle was while waiting? That would give the customer comfort knowing a more specific time range when the vehicle is in your area. With the help of app notifications, the customers’ phone could be sent an update that the vehicle is within 30 minutes of your location. They would also be able to track where the vehicle is in case they can’t find your location or they’re stuck in traffic.

Iteration No. 1 – Male, mid 20’s

Ø  How often would you say you use a service company or tow company?
I don’t use service companies that much, not enough for me to remember when the last time was. But I do call tow companies a lot. Maybe 2-3 times a month.

Ø  For what reasons do you use these type of companies?
I have a designated parking spot at my apartment complex and even though it has ‘restricted’ painted in big, white letters people still think it’s a good idea to park in my spot. So whenever I see a car parked in my spot I call the tow company to move it.

Ø  How satisfied are you with the approximate arrival time of these company drivers?
I’m not really satisfied when I have to call them because I don’t always know if they pick up the car or if the person leaves by the time the tow truck gets here. They just tell me on the phone that they’ll send someone out but I don’t know when or how long it takes them.

Ø  Do you find yourself waiting for a long time?
Well, I mean I don’t know how long I wait technically. Sometimes I go outside into my apartment stairwell to check if the cars still there. I hate doing that but I want to know if I can move my car in my spot. I hate waiting outside by the spot even more.

Ø  Do you think an app that allows you track the service vehicle would help in these circumstances?
Sure, if it also told me whether or not they picked up the car. I don’t really care about the time it takes because I’m home anyways. So maybe you could add a feature that told you if they pick up the car or not when they do arrive.


Iteration No. 2 – Male, early 50’s

Ø  How often would you say you use a service company or tow company?
I would say pretty often. Not sure, maybe a few times a month.

Ø  For what reasons do you use these type of companies?
Well I own a trucking company so sometimes I have to call a tow company when one of the trucks breaks down on the road. I use service companies whenever something breaks in the house after I’ve already tried to fix it myself.

Ø  How satisfied are you with the approximate arrival time of these company drivers?
Sometimes I’m satisfied with, when they actually come when they say they will. Most times they don’t. I would prefer them to just give me a scheduled time, instead of saying ‘10 – 2’. 

Ø  Do you find yourself waiting for a long time?
Well yeah, they almost always give you a big gap for when they might arrive. I work from home so I hate the feeling of waiting for someone to come over. It feels like I can never really get into my work because sooner or later someone will come and disrupt it.

Ø  Do you think an app that allows you track the service vehicle would help in these circumstances?
I think it’s a great idea. I would download it so I would have less anxiety whenever I’m waiting for them at home. It’s like Uber for service vehicles, except they don’t pick you up.


Iteration No. 3 – Female, early 20’s

Ø  How often would you say you use a service company or tow company?
Not often. I don’t have my own house and have only needed a tow truck once. And it wasn’t even my car.  

Ø  For what reasons do you use these type of companies?
I mean I’ve used them when I lived at campus in an apartment. Mostly though they were the maintenance people from the complex. But I needed a tow truck when we broke down on the highway at night.

Ø  How satisfied are you with the approximate arrival time of these company drivers?
Not satisfied much when we needed that tow truck.

Ø  Do you find yourself waiting for a long time?
I waited so long it sucked. My dad and I were in a U-Haul truck driving to our new house when we were moving and the truck broke down on the highway at like 8:00 o’clock at night. We called the company and they said that they would send someone out within 2 hours but it took them 4 hours before they got there. Worst 4 hours ever.

Ø  Do you think an app that allows you track the service vehicle would help in these circumstances?
We have apps for everything; I’m honestly surprised there isn’t already one for these companies. I know I would definitely use it if I need another service company.

Reflect
After interviewing these three customers, I learned that the opportunity exists and is felt by people of different genders and ages. However, the nature of the opportunity is different for each customer. It depends on the customer’s needs that would determine how valuable this opportunity would be. I found it surprising that everyone I interviewed had a negative feeling associated with this opportunity,

Summary
My original opportunity still exists in totality. After speaking with these three people, I feel that there are even ways to expand on this opportunity. Specifically focusing on the tow truck industry might be the first move to make. Interviewee #1 stated how they would like it if the app could also let them know if the tow truck picked up the car they needed removed. Perhaps the app should have two functions. One for when you need the tow service for your car, and one for when you call for a two service to pick up another car. The second service would be useful for individual customers, as well as for companies with parking lots where violators sometimes park.
I think entrepreneurs should always use customer feedback when developing opportunities. It allows for them to better process their ideas, and to possibly develop them further with features they may not have thought of before the feedback.

There would probably be a trade-off between adapting and staying firm for the tow truck companies. Those companies that perhaps cannot afford to adapt with these tracking features for their trucks will fall behind in the industry. Those that have the financial means to bring their company technologically forward will probably dominate the market and have more satisfied customers.

Comments

  1. Shannon, I think you have great ideas! It seems that you incorporated your service/product idea into this assignment. I did not think of doing that, possibly because of the nature of my topic which was more of a social issue than an everyday life situation. This is a great opportunity to improve upon because I most definitely HATE waiting all day for the phone company to show up!

    -L

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts