7-A Testing the Hypothesis, Part I
Online shopping has not been created equally, with every shape and size in mind, because the clothing is always modeled on women who fit the industry mold - not the every day woman.
The who: The every day women who shop for clothing online
The what: They are unable to effectively shop with their shape and size in mind
The why: The clothing on e-commerce retail websites are always modeled on women whose body types fit the strict fashion industry mold
Testing the who: All women who are not the same shape and size as the models that frequent online retail stores and like to shop online share this problem.
Testing the what: Most stores only identify they're clothing as "regular". Some have sections of clothing titled "plus-size" or "petite". Although those sections that are not classified as "regular" do, for the majority, feature models in that size range. Most of those models, however, are still not that far in size from the "regular"-sized models. When plus-size is considered a size 8 in the modeling world, the majority of every day women are then considered to be plus size. This is made even more challenging when sizes range between brands.
Testing the why: Some women who do not fit the industry mold will have luck while online shopping, if the product measurements are correct and those women are aware of their body measurements. However, there is so much pressure from the industry to look a certain way, which is why the majority of the models fit this mold. Unfortunately, there is a standard of beauty in the fashion industry and it creates unrealistic expectations for the average shopper, which leads online shoppers to wonder why the item doesn't look as good on them.
Interview 1:
21 year old female
physique: petite and slender
Ø Do you prefer online shopping or in store?
In store.
Ø Why do you prefer shopping that way?
Because I
can try them on and see if they fit.
Ø Have you ever shopped online?
Yes.
Ø How have your experiences been?
Satisfactory.
Ø Have you had a bad experience in terms of sizing or quality? Please explain.
A lot of
the times when I order online the item is too long on me when I try it
on.
Ø Do you feel a sense of deception from how the item looks on a model?
Um..
yeah. Things look shorter on the models and are longer on me. Especially when
not offered in a petite size.
Ø How would you feel to use virtual reality in online shopping?
I think
it would be complicated, but it could be a good idea if executed
properly.
Ø Do you think that all brands should have a universal size guide?
Yes,
because sometimes I'm a size small, and then in some stores I'm an x-small.
Pants are worse because sometimes the size is based on your waist, other on
your hips, which are obviously different sizes.
Ø If there were virtual reality technology that could show you an avatar version with correct measurements, would you open to use it with online shopping? Do you think that might alleviate some worry when choosing sizes?
Yes,
especially if it was based on your measurements. It would be like a virtual
paper doll.
Interview 2:
51 year old female
build: average
Ø Do you prefer online shopping or in store?
In-store.
Ø Why do you prefer shopping that way?
Because I like to be able to try things on and feel the fabric.
Ø Have you ever shopped online?
Yes.
Ø How have your experiences been?
Good.
Ø Have you had a bad experience in terms of sizing or quality? Please explain.
No, because I'm perfect everything fits. I'm just joking.
Ø Do you feel a sense of deception from how the item looks on a model?
No, a lot of times they tell you the models height and weight, so you should be aware of that.
Ø How would you feel to use virtual reality in online shopping?
I think it would be hard to get used to it.
Ø Do you think that all brands should have a universal size guide?
Yes, because I hate thinking I'm a size 4, and then going to another store and being a size 6-8. It's not healthy for your self-confidence.
Ø If there were virtual reality technology that could show you an avatar version with correct measurements, would you open to use it with online shopping? Do you think that might alleviate some worry when choosing sizes?
Yeah I think so. It would be interesting. If it's the exact measurements then why not?
Interview 3:
18 year old female
build: tall and slender
Ø Do you prefer online shopping or in store?
In store.
Ø Why do you prefer shopping that way?
Because I get to try it on and see it in person before buying it.
Ø Have you ever shopped online?
Yes.
Ø How have your experiences been?
Pretty good I guess.
Ø Have you had a bad experience in terms of sizing or quality? Please explain.
Yes, once I ordered something that came from Japan and it did not fit like it looked in the picture. And the quality was horrible.
Ø Do you feel a sense of deception from how the item looks on a model?
Yes, sometimes things are too short on me. I have to check the model and see how tall she is. So when the model height and size is not available its frustrating.
Ø How would you feel to use virtual reality in online shopping?
I can see it as an option, but I feel like it would still not mirror what it would like in real life.
Ø Do you think that all brands should have a universal size guide?
Yes because sometimes I'm a small in stores like Hollister because they're clothes are very tiny. But at stores like Urban Outfitters the clothes tend to be bigger so I'm an x-small. So a universal size guide would be very helpful.
Ø If there were virtual reality technology that could show you an avatar version with correct measurements, would you open to use it with online shopping? Do you think that might alleviate some worry when choosing sizes?Yes if it was accurate, like very accurate.
Interview 4:
24 year old female
build: average height; curvy
Ø Do you prefer online shopping or in store?
Most of the times I prefer in-store, but I do like the convenience of online shopping. And the rush of waiting for a package.
Ø Why do you prefer shopping that way?
In store I can feel the product and have the option to try on before buying. The feel of some items can make or break the buy.
Ø Have you ever shopped online?
Yes, all the time.
Ø How have your experiences been?
Most of the time its good, sometimes terrible. It's like a coin-toss.
Ø Have you had a bad experience in terms of sizing or quality? Please explain.
Sometimes things come and look completely different from the picture. Or the sizing is totally off and the size I ordered is way too small or bigger than usual.
Ø Do you feel a sense of deception from how the item looks on a model?
Yeah, because most of the time my body shape is totally different from theres. I mean they might be my height, but I have boobs and a butt, and hips! Sometimes things look good on the model, but look too tight on me in certain areas.
Ø How would you feel to use virtual reality in online shopping?
It would be interesting. I don't know how it would help unless it was made totally affordable for every shopper. I feel like it would be an expensive option.
Ø Do you think that all brands should have a universal size guide?
A universal size guide would make everything different. A small in one store should be a small in all stores. And there should be more size options than just small medium and large. Sometimes things fit my waist but not my hips, or vice versa.
Ø If there were virtual reality technology that could show you an avatar version with correct measurements, would you open to use it with online shopping? Do you think that might alleviate some worry when choosing sizes?
It would have to be super accurate and affordable. Plus all the stores you want to shop with would have to use it too.
Interview 5:
32 year old female
build: plus-size
Ø Do you prefer online shopping or in store?
In store, by far.
Ø Why do you prefer shopping that way?
It's hard to shop online when you're plus-size. Not every brand has plus-size options and so sometimes I can't even online shop.
Ø Have you ever shopped online?
I mean yeah, just not much.
Ø How have your experiences been?
Sometimes when the measurements are available and the sizes are larger, it can go well. It's just hard to tell what it will be like on until it comes.
Ø Have you had a bad experience in terms of sizing or quality? Please explain.
I've had multiple experiences where the item says its x-large, but when I get it it looks and fits more like a medium.
Ø Do you feel a sense of deception from how the item looks on a model?
Definitely. There are hardly any sites that offer models that look even remotely like me, at least size wise.
Ø How would you feel to use virtual reality in online shopping?
I think it would be interesting... I don't know if I would trust it.
Ø Do you think that all brands should have a universal size guide?
I do, but I feel like that's an unrealistic goal until major brands start catering more towards plus-size women.
Ø If there were virtual reality technology that could show you an avatar version with correct measurements, would you open to use it with online shopping? Do you think that might alleviate some worry when choosing sizes?
I guess it could alleviate some worry. But like I said, we'd still need more plus-size options before this was really a thing I'd use.
Summary:
The interviews from these five women have helped to determine that there is definitely a problem with online shopping in terms of sizes and quality, across a variety of body types. I wasn't aware of how little the options are plus-size women online and in store. There are other issues to keep in mind including length, both for taller and shorter women. I tried to keep my interviews objective and to look for women of all shapes and sizes to get a clear picture of the problem. I believe, with more research, virtual reality will help alleviate these issues and create a better online shopping experience for all women.




This is very cool idea! It seems very high tech. I have heard of this type of thing with trying on hairstyles and colors. If size is the concern, the measurements of the clothing and the measurements of the buy should be considered in the virtual reality try-on simulator. This was they buyer can see what the clothes look like as well as if it will fit properly.
ReplyDeleteI really like your idea. Personally, I like to do my shopping online because I don’t really like going out on my days off and of course the long lines at stores. The only downside is what you identified. I rarely ever buy the correct size because there isn’t a universal size across the fashion industry. What is a small to one company might be a medium to another or vice versa. I really feel like you have a really solid idea.
ReplyDelete