9-A Testing the Hypothesis, Part II



Online shopping has not been created equally, with every shape and size in mind, because the clothing is always modeled on women who fit the industry mold - not the every day woman. 
~
But what about those women who don't find any issues with online shopping, and in fact prefer shopping online?

Who: Model-like women who fit the industry mold would not have an issue with online shopping because size and fit would be very similar, if not the same, as their measurements. There are also those who are too busy to physically shop, too old to use virtual reality technology, and those who might be medically not able to use this technology. 

What: Is it realistic to create a universal size guide or use virtual reality and avatars to bridge the gap in online shopping? Women come in all shapes and sizes and it might be too idealistic to have a universal guide. Is it realistic to implement virtual reality for the mass consumer market? There are those who may be opposed to this technology, who may feel its cold or too difficult to use.

Why: Some women already prefer online shopping and don't have any size issues. Therefore, they would be out of the market. Considering these types of consumers, the overall market of this service would be smaller than I thought. Some women just prefer the simplicity of online shopping. 

Interview 1:
27 year old female
build: tall, skinny
Ø  Do you prefer online shopping or in store?
I prefer online shopping. 
Ø  Why do you prefer shopping that way?
Because I'm a vet so I don't have a lot of free time to go to the mall. Plus I like the convenience of shopping from my smart device. 
Ø How have your experiences been?
Almost always they're good.
Ø  Have you had a bad experience in terms of sizing or quality? Please explain.
 Yeah, a few times. I ordered a couple of things from some sketchy site that sold things I had seen on other sites but for cheaper. When I got them they were weird sizes and terrible quality. But when I order from legit sites I don't have many bad experiences. 
Ø  Do you feel a sense of deception from how the item looks on the model?
Not really, they're sizes and measurements are normally in line with mine. 
Ø  How would you feel to use virtual reality in online shopping?
It would be cool, but I don't think it's necessary to have successful online shopping. 
Ø  Do you think all brands should have a universal size guide?

Sure, it would make measurements unnecessary because you'd always be the same size. 
Ø  If there were virtual reality technology that could show you an avatar version with correct measurements, would you be open to use it with online shopping? Do you think that might alleviate some worry when choosing sizes?
I mean not for me. I'd be open to it, but my online shopping experiences are normally good. 

Interview 2:
22 year old female
build: tall, skinny 


Ø  Do you prefer online shopping or in store?
Online shopping.
Ø  Why do you prefer shopping that way?
Because I can do it from anywhere and its easy to see all the options.
Ø  How have your experiences been?
Good. 
Ø  Have you had a bad experience in terms of sizing or quality? Please explain.
A few times, but it's the same as in the stores. You just have to wait longer to get the clothes. Mostly just sizing issues. 
Ø  Do you feel a sense of deception from how the item looks on the model?
No, most of them have the body shape as me. 
Ø  How would you feel to use virtual reality in online shopping?
If it made shopping even easier, I'd be up for it. But wearing those goggle things wouldn't be fun. 
Ø  Do you think all brands should have a universal size guide?
I guess, but that's not really a big issue for me personally. 
Ø  If there were virtual reality technology that could show you an avatar version with correct measurements, would you be open to use it with online shopping? Do you think that might alleviate some worry when choosing sizes?

Like I said, I don't really have a lot of sizing issues. But I understand others do so sure why not. Maybe then more people would like online shopping like me. 

Interview 3:
53 year old female
build: petite, slim


Ø  Do you prefer online shopping or in store?
I'd say I like both even. They offer different ways to shop. 
Ø  Why do you prefer shopping that way?
Well, if I had to choose I guess I'd say I prefer online because it's convenient. 
Ø  How have your experiences been?
Positive, mostly good I'd say. 
Ø  Have you had a bad experience in terms of sizing or quality? Please explain.
A few times. Most often the clothes fit me properly, but I have a larger chest for my height so sometimes my shirt fit is off. 
Ø  Do you feel a sense of deception from how the item looks on the model?
A little, just because most petite models don't have the same size chest as me. But the measurements are normally good.
Ø  How would you feel to use virtual reality in online shopping?
 I don't know if I need it. I don't really like using my smart phone for shopping, I prefer my laptop. So I don't think I would like virtual reality. Plus I have vertigo so that probably wouldn't be good.
Ø  Do you think all brands should have a universal size guide?
 Sure, but I don't know how this would happen. Women come in all shapes and sizes. There is no universal size. 
Ø  If there were virtual reality technology that could show you an avatar version with correct measurements, would you be open to use it with online shopping? Do you think that might alleviate some worry when choosing sizes?

I would try it would but I honestly don't think I'd like it. 


Interview 4:
16 year old female
build: average


Ø  Do you prefer online shopping or in store?
Online. 
Ø  Why do you prefer shopping that way?
It's easy and fun. I like waiting for packages, it's like a gift from me to me. 
Ø  How have your experiences been? 
Always good.
Ø  Have you had a bad experience in terms of sizing or quality? Please explain.
Not size, but quality yes. It's just hard sometimes to know what the fabric is going to feel like on until you receive it. 
Ø  Do you feel a sense of deception from how the item looks on the model?
 Nope. You should know that models are all tall and skinny, and then just adjust the size to you. 
Ø  How would you feel to use virtual reality in online shopping?
 I don't like VR. I think it's too weird and futuristic. It's unnecessary. 
Ø  Do you think all brands should have a universal size guide?
 Sure, but they do give measurements so just pay attention to that. 
Ø  If there were virtual reality technology that could show you an avatar version with correct measurements, would you be open to use it with online shopping? Do you think that might alleviate some worry when choosing sizes?

 Maybe for people who don't shop online a lot. The more you order, the better you can figure out what sizes to order from every site. 


Interview 5:
83 year old female
build: petite and plus-size

Ø  Do you prefer online shopping or in store?
In store. 
Ø  Why do you prefer shopping that way?
I don't know how to use online shopping websites. 
Ø  How have your experiences been?
I don't really have any experiences. 
Ø  Have you had a bad experience in terms of sizing or quality? Please explain.
 Yes, but in the stores. Being short but plus-size makes it hard to find good fits. 
Ø  Do you feel a sense of deception from how the item looks on the model?
 Models don't look like me. Unless they're a grandma. 
Ø  How would you feel to use virtual reality in online shopping?
  I don't know what virtual reality really is. Sounds difficult. 
Ø  Do you think all brands should have a universal size guide?
 That would be nice, but probably not possible. We are all unique and that's what makes us beautiful. 
Ø  If there were virtual reality technology that could show you an avatar version with correct measurements, would you be open to use it with online shopping? Do you think that might alleviate some worry when choosing sizes?
Perhaps for younger people, more technological savvy. I think I've passed that time in my life. I'll just stick to good old fashioned stores. 




Inside the boundary
Outside the boundary
Who: Those women who prefer in store shopping over online shopping.
Who: Those women who prefer online shopping, who are medically impaired with virtual reality technology, who are outside of the technological-savvy age group.
What: Issues that arise with online shopping stemming from size and fit, as well as the illusion created by models
What: Size issues to do arise with those women who are built the same as clothing models. Those who are outside the boundary due to age or medical reasons will not be willing to use this technology. 
Why: Not every woman fits the fashion industry mold. Plus-size, petite, tall, and curvy women are underrepresented in clothing brands, as well as model images used on e-commerce shopping sites.
Alternative Explanations: There will always be people who prefer different ways to shop. This service would not be catered to all online shoppers, but to those who have issues with online shopping, are open to the technology, and currently have issues with size and fits when buying online.





In summary, this service would have to be properly marketed. The idea of an universal size guide may be unrealistic when taking in account the uniqueness of human bodies. This service will have be further researched and developed to properly meet the need, as well as possibly offer something more to broaden the market and involve those who are currently outside the boundary. 

Comments

  1. I would definitely use this app! My question is how would you get the measurements of the garments! Would you partner with certain retailers, or would the user have to enter the measurements? Maybe your next step is to consider the bridge between the idea and actual productions! The app could even be built into retailer’s websites or advertised on their websites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was interested to see who you thought was both inside and outside the boundary, and i definitely agree with who you chose. I think there are people who find in store shopping more comfortable because they can hand-pick and try things on. Some people arent as tech savvy too, so it might be harder for people to adapt to this kind of shopping. Overall, this is a tremendous idea with even more potential, very creative, great job!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts