20A - Growing Your Social Capital
Domain expert
1) Who are they and what their background is.
I contacted Maria C. who is a virtual reality specialist working freelance. She has 453 hours of freelance work documented with 100% job success.
2) Which "slot" you are filling with each person (i.e. domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
Maria is fulfilling the domain expert slot as she currently works in the field of virtual reality, which is what my app will be utilizing to create the service. As she is a virtual reality specialist, she has expertise in the domain for my service.
3) A description for how you found the person and contacted the person.
I found Maria by searching Google for virtual reality experts. I came across a website called UpWork, where you can search for and hire a freelance specialist. Maria was the first freelance virtual reality specialist that I in a list and I decided to contact her because of her experience and job success. Also, as she is a woman she may have more insight on online shopping grievances, as well as advice with how to create a virtual reality shopping experience.
4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is the return expectation?
I contacted Maria through UpWork with a message asking her for her professional advice on how I could start creating the virtual reality technology needed for Virtual Shopping. I have no virtual reality skills or previous experience so I know now that if I were to go forward with this business idea, I would need to outsource this department to a specialist. I hope to receive in return some constructive advice on how I could create the app service, including cost, time, and features needed.
5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
By including Maria into my network, I hope to gain some insight on how to create a virtual reality app. She would be a great aide in the construction of the service I plan to provide. Especially as I stated above that I do not feel comfortable in myself in terms of the skills to create the app. Therefore, hiring a professional specialist like Maria would be an essential part in the execution of my opportunity.
Expert on the Market
1) Who are they and what their background is.
I contacted Google because of their background with technology and virtual reality, like their Google Cardboard and Daydream.
2) Which "slot" you are filling with each person (i.e. domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
Google is my market expert as they have successfully created virtual reality smart device services, as well as for their huge influence in search engine optimization. With the help of Google, my service would be optimized and stand above the rest.
3) A description for how you found the person and contacted the person.
Admittedly it was difficult to find a contact for Google so I'm not sure if my message will be received or returned. I sent a message asking for advice on how to break into the virtual reality industry. I also sent my second elevator pitch to receive criticism on how I can improve the selling aspect of my service.
4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do you? What is the return expectation?
I have yet to receive an answer to my message to Google. I am hoping to get a message in return with constructive criticism on my elevator pitch, as well as advice on how to enter the virtual reality market.
5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
Receiving advice and contact with Google would greatly increase my exploitation of this opportunity as it will give me great insight on the market from one of, if not the, biggest technology companies. Google has expanded their market control from search engine to almost every other aspect involving technology. Even just a bit of advice on my elevator pitch would be a great help.
Supplier to my Industry
1) Who are they and what their background is.
Apple Financing is the financial services department of Apple that invests money and supports new businesses, schools, and students.
2) Which "slot" you are filling with each person (i.e. domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
Apple Financing would fulfill the supplier sector as they would not only help finance my business, but the goal would be to use Apple's App Store as the supplier of my app. With a contract from the App Store my app would be downloadable for everyone with an iPhone.
3) A description for how you found the person and contacted them.
Obviously when you think of creating an app, you think of Apple. I went on their website and looked for some contact information, when I came across Apple Financing. I wasn't aware of this particular service they provided so I looked into it. I set up a meeting with Alex S. at my local Apple Store to talk about the possibility of working with them through my potential app, as well as what the requirements would be to work with them. He was very helpful and provided me with advice on how to get to the stage of working with Apple.
4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do you? What is the return expectation?
Alex was very open to listening to my idea and thought that I had a great starting point. He was intrigued with how I planned on creating it a monthly subscription fee, to help finance the service. He pointed out, however, that I should be further in my development before I can really work with Apple (which came at no surprise to me). His recommendations were to try to get a working prototype of Virtual Shopping to present to Apple Financing, so they can get a real feel for the app services and how it would be used by consumers. Alex gave me his card and told me to email him if I had any more questions on how to get to the next step.
5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
Alex is just one of thousands of Apple employees who work in the Apple Financing division. Having him as a contact will help me enhance my app services to get them to be where they need to for Apple to pick up my app. He was more than willing to give me advice and mentorship on how to become an Apple client.
Reflect
This experience was difficult to start in terms of how to get in contact with the right people and to make sure that my messages were received. What made it more difficult was the fact that my app service is still in its infancy and has no prototype that I can present to potential networking contacts. Talking to Maria and Alex gave me good insight on what I need to do to take my app from an idea to a business. It was interesting to see that even though I don't have a whole lot to work with, those I got in contact with were more than willing to listen to my idea and concepts.
1) Who are they and what their background is.
I contacted Maria C. who is a virtual reality specialist working freelance. She has 453 hours of freelance work documented with 100% job success.
2) Which "slot" you are filling with each person (i.e. domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
Maria is fulfilling the domain expert slot as she currently works in the field of virtual reality, which is what my app will be utilizing to create the service. As she is a virtual reality specialist, she has expertise in the domain for my service.
3) A description for how you found the person and contacted the person.
I found Maria by searching Google for virtual reality experts. I came across a website called UpWork, where you can search for and hire a freelance specialist. Maria was the first freelance virtual reality specialist that I in a list and I decided to contact her because of her experience and job success. Also, as she is a woman she may have more insight on online shopping grievances, as well as advice with how to create a virtual reality shopping experience.
4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do for you? What is the return expectation?
I contacted Maria through UpWork with a message asking her for her professional advice on how I could start creating the virtual reality technology needed for Virtual Shopping. I have no virtual reality skills or previous experience so I know now that if I were to go forward with this business idea, I would need to outsource this department to a specialist. I hope to receive in return some constructive advice on how I could create the app service, including cost, time, and features needed.
5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
By including Maria into my network, I hope to gain some insight on how to create a virtual reality app. She would be a great aide in the construction of the service I plan to provide. Especially as I stated above that I do not feel comfortable in myself in terms of the skills to create the app. Therefore, hiring a professional specialist like Maria would be an essential part in the execution of my opportunity.
Expert on the Market
1) Who are they and what their background is.
I contacted Google because of their background with technology and virtual reality, like their Google Cardboard and Daydream.
2) Which "slot" you are filling with each person (i.e. domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
Google is my market expert as they have successfully created virtual reality smart device services, as well as for their huge influence in search engine optimization. With the help of Google, my service would be optimized and stand above the rest.
3) A description for how you found the person and contacted the person.
Admittedly it was difficult to find a contact for Google so I'm not sure if my message will be received or returned. I sent a message asking for advice on how to break into the virtual reality industry. I also sent my second elevator pitch to receive criticism on how I can improve the selling aspect of my service.
4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do you? What is the return expectation?
I have yet to receive an answer to my message to Google. I am hoping to get a message in return with constructive criticism on my elevator pitch, as well as advice on how to enter the virtual reality market.
5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
Receiving advice and contact with Google would greatly increase my exploitation of this opportunity as it will give me great insight on the market from one of, if not the, biggest technology companies. Google has expanded their market control from search engine to almost every other aspect involving technology. Even just a bit of advice on my elevator pitch would be a great help.
Supplier to my Industry
1) Who are they and what their background is.
Apple Financing is the financial services department of Apple that invests money and supports new businesses, schools, and students.
2) Which "slot" you are filling with each person (i.e. domain expert, market expert, supplier), and how the person fills the spot.
Apple Financing would fulfill the supplier sector as they would not only help finance my business, but the goal would be to use Apple's App Store as the supplier of my app. With a contract from the App Store my app would be downloadable for everyone with an iPhone.
3) A description for how you found the person and contacted them.
Obviously when you think of creating an app, you think of Apple. I went on their website and looked for some contact information, when I came across Apple Financing. I wasn't aware of this particular service they provided so I looked into it. I set up a meeting with Alex S. at my local Apple Store to talk about the possibility of working with them through my potential app, as well as what the requirements would be to work with them. He was very helpful and provided me with advice on how to get to the stage of working with Apple.
4) The nature of the exchange you have with the person -- what favor did they do you? What is the return expectation?
Alex was very open to listening to my idea and thought that I had a great starting point. He was intrigued with how I planned on creating it a monthly subscription fee, to help finance the service. He pointed out, however, that I should be further in my development before I can really work with Apple (which came at no surprise to me). His recommendations were to try to get a working prototype of Virtual Shopping to present to Apple Financing, so they can get a real feel for the app services and how it would be used by consumers. Alex gave me his card and told me to email him if I had any more questions on how to get to the next step.
5) How will including this person in your network enhance your ability to exploit an opportunity?
Alex is just one of thousands of Apple employees who work in the Apple Financing division. Having him as a contact will help me enhance my app services to get them to be where they need to for Apple to pick up my app. He was more than willing to give me advice and mentorship on how to become an Apple client.
Reflect
This experience was difficult to start in terms of how to get in contact with the right people and to make sure that my messages were received. What made it more difficult was the fact that my app service is still in its infancy and has no prototype that I can present to potential networking contacts. Talking to Maria and Alex gave me good insight on what I need to do to take my app from an idea to a business. It was interesting to see that even though I don't have a whole lot to work with, those I got in contact with were more than willing to listen to my idea and concepts.

Comments
Post a Comment