27A - Reading Reflection No. 3
Steve Jobs
Walter Isaacson
Everyone in the modern world knows who Steve Jobs and what he's famous for. We owe much to him in the technological world. Without him I wouldn't have this MacBook Pro that I'm using to type this blog post. The iPhone is the most sought after mobile device worldwide. That's why this book was so interesting to read, as I learned more about the man behind the brand. Admittedly, I didn't previously know much about Jobs, so many things I read was surprising. I was unaware of his adoption and issues with abandonment that seemed to plague him throughout his life. However, the most surprising thing I learned was that his first work with technology was through car engines. I found the stories about how he spent time with his adoptive father learning the mechanics of cars humbling and made him more human than those about his own technological pursuits. What I admired most about Steve Jobs was his unwavering belief in himself and his product. He knew what he was developing would change the way we live our lives and he stopped at nothing to perfect each new addition to his brand. What I admired least was his lack of control over his issues with abandonment. Despite the resentment he held deep inside about his biological parents, Jobs repeated the cycle and did not acknowledge his first child (though later he would). His issues would sometimes cause him to lash out at others, which I don't believe is a good quality for an entrepreneur. Regardless of his temperamental problems, he was extremely competent when it came to electronics and the process of creating. He was able to incorporate technology with creativity in a way that has never been duplicated.
Although Steve Jobs became one of the most successful entrepreneurs in technology, he was not immune from failure. His greatest failure of all was when he was fired by Apple, the company that he and his partner Steve Wozniak had started in his garage. The board of directors made the decision to side with the CEO and kicked Jobs to the curb. He, of course, overcame this adversity and rejoined Apple later on. This experience goes to show that even entrepreneurs are able to be fired from their own ventures.
The book was slightly confusing the writing technique, as the author used many anecdotes from Jobs, his family, and those who knew him well. Some of those opinions were quite contrasting, and although Jobs himself gave honest anecdotes of himself, the reader had to pay attention to who was speaking. It's important to note who was speaking and to remember that everyones perspective will be different.
If I were able to ask Steve Jobs two questions, they would be
What did you tell yourself to stay motivated through times of adversity, as when you were kicked out of your company?
Do you feel that your issues with abandonment hindered your potential for more achievement?
What did you tell yourself to stay motivated through times of adversity, as when you were kicked out of your company?
Do you feel that your issues with abandonment hindered your potential for more achievement?
I feel that everyone could agree that Steve Jobs placed a lot of value on hard work. Even after his failures and his unfortunate diagnosis with cancer, Jobs was able to continue to achieve more in his technological advancements. He worked hard to achieve all that he did, starting from a young age. As a child Steve knew he was special and capable of more. He notes that when you are not challenged you are bored, which leads to no achievements. With hard work, motivation, and intellectual instincts Steve Jobs became one of the most recognizable entrepreneurs in the technological industry.


Hi Shannon,
ReplyDeleteBoth of my parents have read this book and have encouraged me to read it multiple times! I had heard that Steve Jobs had a strong temper but I didn't realize it came from family problems. It can be difficult as a leader to step out of your past and help your team move forward, especially when you are only human and have your own struggles. Any way, I really liked your adversity question since that is definitely something leaders face every day.
Shannon, it seems that some of the most successful people carry large burdens with them. I've often wondered if their success is sometimes driven by their burdens. I like the part you included about Jobs not being immune to failure. I cannot imagine what it would be like to be fired from your own company that you built out of a garage!
ReplyDelete-L
Shannon,
ReplyDeleteI found your post really interesting. I don't know much about Jobs myself so all of the things you said you found surprising were just as surprising to me. I think the situation between Jobs and his CEO is really something to learn from. Not only does it show you that anyone can get kicked out of power no matter what the role but i think it teaches people that failure is okay. Hearing that Steve Jobs, one of the most successful entrepreneurs in the world was fired from his own company, kind of relieves a little weight from entrepreneurs chests about failure.