26A - Celebrating Failure

Failure can come in many forms, it doesn't have to be the result of grading. This past semester was my first semester back at UF after taking a few years off. I had initially taken a year off of school to figure out what I wanted out of my experience. Unhappy with my major and confused about my future, I tried to reset my path. Deciding to change my major to Business was the outcome from that time off. As a result, however, I had to take a step backwards to do prerequisites to get back into the business school at UF. After taking the necessary courses online through Santa Fe, I successfully achieved my goal of returning to the University of Florida in pursuit of my degree in Business Administration.

Although I had passed this portion of my goal, my aspirations of graduating were my main concern. This blind ambition led me to failure. This semester I unfortunately failed at being a good friend and loved one. I was so concerned with school and grades that I forgot to return messages, make plans, and follow through with those made. At the time, I thought I was just being focused and disciplined. However, halfway through the semester I realized that although I was passing my classes, I was failing to balance a work-life balance.

Once I realized my failure, I began to put more effort into my social life and relationships. I stopped being consumed with my academics, but still focused hard on my grades and studying. This recognition led to a happier semester then the way it had begun. If I hadn't realized my failure at balancing social life with school life, I would probably passed my classes anyways but would not have been as happy in other aspects of my life. With this balance, I enjoy my school life more instead of resenting the time it takes up.

After my experience with failure, I don't have a negative view of it. For me, failure may be a mistake, but it is also a point of growth. When I decided to leave school, I initially felt incredibly embarrassed and felt like I ruined my life. But really I was just forging my own path, which is not a failure. Society puts so much pressure on us to follow the cookie-cutter path of life. When you stray from this path it is easy to feel like a failure and to be too embarrassed to talk about it. The truth is that once you take on your own unique path, you learn more about yourself and become your best self. My mistakes have led to my greatest successes. ENT 3003 has added to my view of failure in terms of remembering to learn from them than to be consumed by them. Failure in entrepreneurial pursuits shows you that your current path is not the right one, but it doesn't mean your endeavor is wrong. Some of the greatest entrepreneurs became successful after they learned from their greatest failures.

Comments

  1. Hi Shannon,

    You're story reminds me a lot of the one I wrote for this assignment. I think it was brave of you to take a year off to figure out what you wanted from your experience at UF and it something you shouldn't be afraid to do again if needed. Balancing work and life is definitely a struggle and I can understand why you feel you failed at it this semester but again it was courageous of you to take a step back and reflect. This will also help you in your future endeavors.. good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Shannon

    Its funny how much we learn from our failures and how these experiences change us for the better. When you dropped out of school, it probably seemed like a failure to you at the time, but I'd argue that it made you a much stronger student by the time you came back. With that time off, you were able to reflect on yourself and determine exactly what you wanted out of school.

    I've also experienced neglecting my relationships with people in order to pursue a goal. Although the tunnel-vision mindset is great for achieving a goal, it hurts to see your relationships with loved ones drift apart. I've also been on the other end of the spectrum where I've focused solely on rebuilding those relationships, usually at the detriment of accomplishing my personal goals. I guess it's all about finding the right balance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did the right thing for taking a step back to reevaluate what you want before continuing school. Sometime people just keep going thinking they know what they want only in the end realizing that maybe they wanted something else. At least you didn’t waste money on a degree that in the end you would regret. So, I consider this a success. As for the work life balance that you are trying to find, I completely agree. There were some weeks this semester that I would work in the morning come home and just study study study without even speaking with my husband. I was so concerned about the classes. But then I realized how stressed out that made me feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shannon, your story is great! Far too often, people crumble under the pressure of life. Taking a year off to prevent this was a great idea, and I commend you for returning back to UF! I understand not being able to balance school and your social life. I feel that I also struggle with this. It's so easy to become consumed and overwhelmed with your academics.

    -L

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts